Friday, January 22, 2016

Hungry Like a Bug

After we read one of Eric Carle's most famous books I did this lesson with the kindergarten through 1st grade students. 

Some of Eric Carle's most famous books we read in class, and children love very much are:



The Very Quiet Cricket --(This book makes a chirping sound when children open the pages!)

There are a number of variations of this lesson.  But pretty much it goes like this: I bought a box of bow ties, shells and spiral pasta. I bought pinto beans because the store was out of the white ones. I also bought round paper plates.  At the school we had the glue and I pre-cut the leaves.  I also printed the labels for each of the stages of the butterfly. Here is what I discovered.  The kindergarten students will have a harder time to do this project.  They have a hard time placing the labels with the right step.  The first graders had no problem at all.  The best part is that they all loved their work.  It was hard for me because I teach four kindergarten and four first grade classes.  But in the end it was all worth it.  The students really enjoyed doing this. This project is in continuation of the Life Stages of a Butterfly lesson plan which can be found in this same blog.  Below are the pictures of our actual student work.  Enjoy.  And if you liked it, please share it with your friends and leave a comment below.  God bless.


No comments: