Saturday, April 25, 2009

Signs of Faith



When I repented and accepted Jesus Christ it happened very naturally. I did not see any heavenly sign or felt a metaphysical experience. As I was growing up, I was told by various groups that I would see a sign or that the heavens would literally open through a vision, a dream or feeling. I was hoping that it would happened, but it never did. One day, my schizophrenic friend told me to pray about it, to ask God for a sign. He asked me to pray an istikhara. I did. The following day he asked me “did you dream about anything“? I said, “no,” To his chagrin. He explained to me that most people of his faith saw the color green in their dreams. That would be God’s way of answering my prayers. I do not know why I was never privileged to experience these signs. (Actually, I do know but I am just being facetious.)

I remember reading how the teachers of the law were asking Jesus for a sign if he indeed was the Christ. Jesus told them in Matthew 16:4 “A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a sign.” To me this means that God does not encourage the idea of sign seeking. And I believe that this is true because otherwise it would be too easy to be deceived by fake signs and visions, which I believe occur thousands of times a day throughout the world. When Jesus was being tested in the desert He said, “…Do not put the Lord your God to the test” Matthew 4:7.



Before my youngest nephew was born, members of my sister’s church believed wholeheartedly that they had seen a vision from God showing them that my nephew would instead be a niece--a baby girl. The doctor had already determined through an ultra sound that there was an 80% chance the baby would be a boy. But these women were so sure of their vision that for the baby shower, they even decorated the house all in pink. They caused such a scene that they chastised us for questioning their supposed vision. So when the new baby boy was born…their visions was proven false. And they were all left speechless. In 2 Corinthians 11: 14 the Bible says “And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angle of light…”

I have therefore concluded that sign seeking has the potential to be self edifying. And it is therefore not the best way to build faith in God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eat a lot and fall asleep! There will be plenty of visions!

I do beleive in visions! I know that god used visions to convey His mind to the men He had chosen. But He has given us His whole plan in writing! We have Bible which is God's plans for us and our community!

People find it hard to read Bible and always seek for quick and sensational 'revelations'. I feel bad when they do....becos the real joy and peace is in waiting for the Lord to act on you and your life - even if it takes years together.

Not an attractive option - but a solid one.